I have worked as a Core Process psychotherapist since 1997 when I completed the four-and-a-half-year training at the Karuna Institute. I am an accredited psychotherapist. I am registered with UKCP (United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy).
In addition I have an MA in Psychotherapy (Middlesex University/Karuna Institute), 2002.
For 10 years I ran my own psychotherapy practise in Edinburgh.
My counselling career began in 1985, when I qualified in social work, with a CQSW (Edinburgh University). I have worked in a number of settings; in a women’s refuge, a family centre and two alternative schools. I have worked with people with a history of shock and trauma, abuse, addictions, bereavement, mental health issues and difficulties in managing stress.
For 11 years I worked as a social work manager with the young homeless. I managed at different times two social-work-registered residential homes, one of which operated as a therapeutic community on a small organic farm, offering educational and training opportunities.
I have experience in training, staff and student supervision, and group facilitation.
For 6 years I was employed as a adult adoption counsellor; working with adoptees, birth mothers and relatives. My work included counselling, telephone counselling, mediation and relationship skills.
I have experience of working with couples.
I currently work with Cancer Lifeline South West; offering 3 day residential breaks for cancer patients
My commitment to what I do
My commitment to my clients rests in continuing to work on my own ability to be present at greater depths and subtler places.
I continue to attend additional trainings and retreats. These include:
- Babette Rothschild: shock and trauma.
- Peter Levine: trauma skills
- Stephen Porges: Polyvagal theory
- Janina Fisher : trauma skills
- William Emerson: birth work.
- The Transpersonal Group: breath work.
- G. Egan :the skilled-helper counselling-model.
- Process-oriented trainings, including group leadership and conflict management.
- Courtenay Young: spiritual emergence and emergency.
- Nancy Verrier: the experience of being adopted.
- Retreats include: the Kalachakra ceremony, presided over by the Dalai Lama, and ‘Looking Deeply in the Present’ with Thich Nhat Hanh.
Other professional qualifications include:
- BA hons in Combined Arts
- Diploma in Anatomy, Physiology and Body Massage (ITEC)